Thursday, 24 September 2026

JS's Jazz Library: John Coltrane

 While idly scrolling BlueSky and the cesspit that was once Twitter I was reminded that yesterday was the centenary of the birth of John Coltrane.

So, to mark this occasion I pondered what 5 albums would I pick to represent the work of the great man, and what would be the criteria?

A simple "best of" would be the obvious approach, but I thought no. Why don't I make even more work for myself and pick five albums to represent Trane's work as a whole. Then I thought, why stop at Trane? So here is the first in an irregular series of Jazz Libraries for various artists... pre-album artists are a bridge I will cross when I get there.


So without further ado, here I go. Please bare in mind, these choices may not represent my preferences. Also I am not going to go into details as to why something isn't included, but feel free to ask me elsewhere providing you do so respectfully 


5. Kulu Se Mama


Coltrane's last album released in his lifetime. This to me is a distillation of the the Free Jazz/ avant-garde direction he was leaning into, and yet still somewhat accessible. The titular track and Vigil are challenging but engaging, while Welcome reflects where he has come from. An album which has one foot in Trane's past and one in his posthumously released future.

4. My Favourite Things 

the x 

Ok, this is an obvious choice, and it was a toss up between this and Giant Steps for inclusion. But as this is Trane's first real showcase for his Soprano Saxophone, and the titular tracks ubiquitous presence in his live recordings from here on it, this was is the clear winner. But, while the titular track gets the most traction, fir me it is the deconstruction of the over played Gershwin standard "Summertime" that is my emphasised track.

3. A Love Superme


An obvious inclusion,  but come on, it is a defining album.


2. Bags & Trane


I wanted to represent the mellow side of Trane, and the Johnny Hartman album was too obvious. This puts Trane in an interesting line up which perhaps reflects a fading period in Jazz, but Trane is on top form effortlessly leaning into the material.

1. Blue Train


Ok, this *is* very much a personal choice.  When I heard the title track for the first time, I think I was 18 possibly 17, it was the greatest euphoria I have experienced with my clothes on. The almost noir-ish sound reeled in your sentimental sandman who, when not reading Doctor Who books, was reading Raymond Chandler, Hammett, and watching far too many black and white movies than a sixth form student in the early 2000s should be watching.  This album cemented my love of Jazz, from dixie to free. So to the sole Blue Note album from Trane, I give you thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

JS's Jazz Library: John Coltrane

 While idly scrolling BlueSky and the cesspit that was once Twitter I was reminded that yesterday was the centenary of the birth of John Col...